Lighting bathrooms based on size
Setting the lighting level
Using task lighting
Using lighting features
Putting light fixtures in the right places
Choosing the right light bulbs
Decorating with lighting fixtures
Lighting your mirrors
Your bath lighting should be bright enough to see yourself clearly when you’re getting ready. For shaving, a lot of people prefer the lighting on the side of their mirror as it’s very close to eye level and gives them natural shadows that help with making precise lines around areas like the jawline or neck where they don’t want stubble.
When it comes to lighting your bathroom, there are a lot of things to consider. But by using these tips, you can create a space that’s perfect for getting ready each morning.
- Lighting should be bright enough to see yourself in the mirror clearly
- Use a light above or on the side of the mirror to light it evenly
- If using a light above the mirror, make sure it’s pointing down
- If using accent lighting or vanity lighting on the side of the mirror, make sure it’s at eye level
- Consider what type of lighting you need for shaving or makeup application
- Use ambient lighting that creates a relaxing atmosphere
- Use a vanity mirror to create the most light from all sides
- Experiment with different types of lighting to see what works best for you
Using lighting to highlight important areas of your bathroom
When lighting your master bath, it’s important to use accent lighting to highlight the areas that are most important. This can include the sink, the mirror, and the area around the toilet. You may also want to use lighting to create a sense of ambiance in your bathroom. Here are a few ideas.
- Place lighting around the sink and mirror to highlight these areas of your bathroom
- Use track lighting around the toilet, if desired. If you want to create an ambiance in your bathroom, place lighting behind or next to sconces on walls near the bathroom
- Use lighting with a dimmer switch to create different lighting levels in your bathroom, which is especially useful if you have an area that highlights the sink and mirror
- Use lighting in multiple areas of your bathroom to create a more interesting lighting design
- Be careful when using lighting with shaver outlets, since these are often used for vanity lighting
- Try not to use too many different types of lighting fixtures in the same area or room, which can make it difficult for people to adjust lighting levels
Lighting your shower area
There are a few different ways to have enough light in your shower area. You can use recessed lighting, ambient lighting, or sconces.
Recessed ceiling lights are a good option for lighting the shower area. It’s a good idea to use a recessed light that’s covered in a waterproof material, like vinyl or plastic. This will help protect the lighting from moisture.
Track lighting is also a good option for lighting the shower area. It’s important to use track lighting that’s designed for wet areas, like bathrooms. This will help protect the lighting from moisture.
Sconces are not a good option for lighting the shower area, since they can get wet and may not be able to withstand the moisture.
Removing dark spots in the room
Choosing a lighting color for your space
When it comes to lighting, one of the most important decisions you’ll make is choosing the right color. The right color can set the tone for your entire space and help to create the mood you want.
There are a few things to consider when choosing a lighting color:
- The color of the walls and ceiling
- The color of the furniture and fixtures
- The type of lighting you’re using.
- The mood you want to create.
Some colors work better in certain lighting conditions than others. Here are a few tips for choosing the right lighting color:
- If you have light-colored walls and furniture, use a light or bright color for your lighting. This will help to create a bright and airy atmosphere
- If you have dark-colored walls and furniture, use a dark or neutral color for your lighting. This will help to create a cozy and intimate atmosphere
- If you’re using recessed lighting, track lighting, or wall sconces, use a light color to reflect more light into the room. This will help to brighten the space and remove any dark spots
- If you’re using floor lamps or table lamps, use a dark color to create a more dramatic effect. This will help to add interest and depth to the room
Enhance relaxation or set the mood
The bathroom is a place where you can relax and de-stress. A study even shows how short-term exposure to conventional light suppresses melatonin and increases alertness perception.
There are many things you can do to enhance relaxation or set the mood in the bathroom. Consider these nine tips:
1. Use lighting that creates a relaxing atmosphere.
2. Place candles around the room to create a soothing ambiance.
3. Play calming music in the background.
4. Hang pictures or paintings that depict peaceful scenes.
5. Use soft, plush towels and rugs.
6. Install a skylight or window to allow natural daylight in.
7. Use aromatherapy to create a relaxing environment.
8. Hang plants around the room to promote freshness and relaxation.
9. Display decorative items that make you feel good.
Using lighting as a decoration element
One popular way to use lighting as a decoration element is to install a chandelier. A chandelier can add elegance and style to any bathroom. Another option is to install sconces on either side of the mirror. Sconces provide downward lighting, which is perfect for applying makeup or shaving. If you want to add a touch of luxury, consider installing a crystal chandelier or a Venetian mirror.
Another way to use interior lighting as a decoration element is to install light fixtures above the bathtub. A light fixture over the bathtub can create an intimate and relaxing atmosphere. It can also be used to highlight certain features in the bathroom, such as a beautiful tile pattern or a freestanding tub.
Finally, don’t forget about shower lighting. Installing a light fixture over the shower can help you see while you are bathing or shaving, and it can also create an atmospheric lighting effect that enhances your bathroom’s overall style.